Coke Florida Refreshing Minds Scholarship
Big Brothers Big Sisters Association of Florida is honored to partner with Coca-Cola Beverages Florida to provide an opportunity to award the Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSM to our members.
The Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSM will cover tuition and most fees for economically disadvantaged students pursuing higher education at a Florida public four-year university, or a two-year college, or technical/vocational school.
The Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSMis a partnership with the Florida Prepaid College Foundation and its Path to Prosperity program. To apply, students must meet all the Path to Prosperity program eligibility criteria set by the Florida Prepaid College Foundation:
- Reside in a Path to Prosperity program priority zip code1
- Become a member or be an existing member in good standing with one of the identified community partners: Boys & Girls Clubs Florida Alliance, Big Brothers Big Sisters Association of Florida 2
- Be a resident of the State of Florida, have a valid Social Security Number, have not completed the 12th grade and is under the age of 21
- Remain Drug and Crime-free
In addition to meeting Path to Prosperity program criteria, the Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSM application process will require students to:
- Currently be a high school senior residing in a Path to Prosperity priority zip code within the Coke Florida service area.
- Submit a typed essay not to exceed 250 words.
- Provide a letter of reference from a teacher, school official, or community member (i.e. volunteer organization, clergy member, etc.)
- Provide an acceptance letter to a Florida public university, college, technical or vocational school. Students meeting all other eligibility requirements but awaiting acceptance to a qualified Florida institution may also apply. After the application process closes, students will be given a grace period to submit the required documentation. An application will be considered complete upon submission of an acceptance letter to any Florida public post-secondary institution prior to the closing of the selection period.
1 Path to Prosperity Program Priority Zip Code
Priority zip codes are determined by the Florida Chamber Foundation and the Florida Prepaid College Foundation's Path to Prosperity Program. As a corporate donor under the Path to Prosperity Program, the Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSM is open to students who reside in one of the priority zip codes that is also in the Coke Florida service area. Students in the zip code(s) listed are eligible to apply. Please review additional eligibility criteria and details on how to apply.
If your zip code is not listed, you do not live in a Path to Prosperity Program priority zip code that is in the Coke Florida service area. Eligible zip codes are determined by the Florida Chamber Foundation and the Florida Prepaid College Foundation's Path to Prosperity Program.
2 Community Partners
Coke Florida and the Florida Prepaid College Foundation have elected to partner with Big Brothers Big Sisters Association of Florida and the Florida Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs to deliver the scholarship program. The organizations offer enrichment and support programs to their members and alumni and will assist students with the Coke Florida Refreshing Minds Scholarship application process.
The application period opens October 1, 2023. Eligible students will apply through their local Big Brothers Big Sisters agency. Check back for additional information.
- October 1, 2023: Application Opens
- Spring 2024: Application Review & Selection
- Summer 2024: Awards Ceremony
Big Brothers Big Sisters Programs
Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies provide both children and mentors the essential tools to develop lifelong, purposeful relationships. They offer young people positive and life-affirming choices.
The core of BBBS programs is community-based mentoring. Littles in need of a mentor are matched with a volunteer Big who develops and maintains a relationship, serving as a positive role model and source of reliable support. Matches are based on common interests, backgrounds, and aspirations allowing for a strong connection to grow over time. Bigs and Littles explore the local community and share fun activities they both enjoy at least twice a month for a minimum of four hours each time. Some Bigs meet their Littles on the weekends, while others meet in the evenings. Each match is unique and develops a schedule that works for them.
Bigs and Littles create memories to last a lifetime. BBBS staff works with the Big and the Little’s family to encourage a continuous relationship and provide opportunities to participate in fun and engaging activities throughout the year. Staff also provide support for Bigs who may not know how to handle certain situations that may arise.
Getting together enriches the lives of both the Little and the Big. Outings do not require a special occasion or an expensive activity – just a few hours of quality time each month to share experiences in our community. These include, but are not limited to:
- Taking a walk or throwing a ball in a park
- Going to a museum
- Listening to music
- Attending a sports event
- Going to the beach
- Getting ice cream
Similar to community-based mentoring, site-based mentoring creates one-on-one mentoring matches between Bigs and Littles. However, all mentoring activities take place at a designated site –during the day at school – for one hour each week. The match process and support, as well as the overall impact, is the same as that of community-based mentoring: each Little has a positive role model who offers support and guidance throughout the year. Mentoring activities can include reading, board games, sports, computer games, homework help, or a simple conversation.
Site-based mentoring is not a tutoring program; instead, mentors offer guidance. Research has shown children matched with a Big experience significant improvements in their academic lives. In fact, Littles who participate in the site-based mentoring program:
- Have improved academic performance
- Demonstrate higher levels of self-confidence
- Have a better attitude toward school
Impact on our state
Youth in a long-term, one-to-one mentoring relationship:
0%Achieved higher grades in both Reading and Math
0%Youth promoted to next grade level
0%Were absent and tardy less frequently
0%Stayed out of the juvenile justice system
Find a Big Brothers Big Sisters Agency Near You
Find and contact your local Big Brothers Big Sisters agency to become a member and apply for the Coke Florida Refreshing Minds ScholarshipSM, in your senior year of high school. The application period opens October 1, 2023.
Ready to become a Little Brother or Sister? Join one of our programs! Just click the county that you live in on the map below to find the contact information for the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency in your area.